Preston D. Allen was the founder of both KZM and KLX, Oakland, and was the Manager of KLX from its inception until called to active duty by the Navy shortly before Pearl Harbor.
This photo is taken from an early newspaper clipping, and shows Allen examining the new 50 watt
transmitter, "Powerful Katrinka". This equipment was installed in the Hotel Oakland, and it served as
the transmitter for both KLX and KZM until the Oakland Tribune built its own 500 watt station for KLX
in the Tribune Tower Building in the fall of 1923.
Copyright 2014 -
John F. Schneider & Associates, LLC