The KGO Transmitter Building and Antenna

KGO transmitter building

This photo shows the KGO transmitter building and antenna which operated from 1924 to 1947 at 5441 E. 14th Street in Oakland, on the grounds of a General Electric transformer factory. The two 150-foot steel towers that supported the antenna straddled the transmitter building, one on each side, at a spacing of 260 feet, so that the antenna was strung directly over the structure. Twelve counterpoise wires were strung parallel to the antenna fourteen feet above the ground and covering an area of 150 x 300 feet.

Copyright 2014
John F. Schneider & Associates, LLC