Transmitter room for the General Electric type RT-152-G 50KW transmitter, built under contract to NBC. The photo is dated March 28, 1933.
On the left side of the room is the 5 KW transmitter which served as the driver for the 50 KW power amplifier, located at left center. To right of the center section are the mercury vapor rectifier for the final amplifier. On the right side of the room are the controls for the motor generators and pumps for the water cooling system. The transmitter was entirely open to the rear, and access doors on either side of the center cabinet allowed the operator to enter for inspection or repairs.
Click here to see close-up views of the transmitter cabinets.By 1949, the transmitter was still in use, but had been "modernized" and repainted. It was also re-branded as an RCA product. Engineer Joe Baker is seated at the updated control desk, below.